A Bengal cat is that kind of cat breed that is known to be a hybrid from the Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic cat. In the exotic pet trade, the Asian leopard cats are considered wild animals but when they cross-breed it with a domestic feline, the result would produce a hybrid called Bengal cat. They make great pets because they are very good with people and they also have a very fun personalities.
One of the many reasons why these cats are well-loved is because they have really cute, fun, and playful behavior. They have a unique coat pattern that can be found in no other cat breed in the world which makes them even more special. When you actually see a Bengal cat for the first time you will realize that they look like little leopards or cheetahs because of their spotted coat. This kind of appearance will make them extremely appealing to any person who loves exotic pets like reptiles or birds plus their size is not too big; it’s just perfect for most homes living rooms. Here are some things you should know before getting one:
How Much Are You Willing To Spend
Bengal cats usually cost around $1,000-$2,000. This price usually includes a health guarantee, vaccinations, and spaying or neutering. Some breeders also offer a “return policy” in case the cat doesn’t work out in your home. Before getting one you should be informed about the cost of owning a Bengal kitten, and do some research on different food options, toys, and other things your new pet might need. Even though they are expensive to buy, they are not expensive to care for.
They Are Very Intelligent
Just like their wild leopard ancestors, Bengal cats are known to be one of the smartest domesticated cat breeds. They are very curious and they use their cunningness to play with toys. They usually like to pounce on small objects which make them fun but can also be destructive around the house. The good news is that you can train them but make sure that your kitty has enough time outside since they still are wild animals.
They Need A Lot Of Attention
If you want to own one, make sure that you are ready for their undivided attention, or else they will find ways of getting your attention back from things such as loud noises. They don’t get along well with other pets except if they were raised together since birth so it’s best to keep them in separate areas. So if you plan to own other animals besides them, make sure to get them at the same time and while they’re both babies.
Aside from these few things, these cats are known to be very amiable and friendly creatures that is why a lot of people think that having a Bengal cat would be the perfect pet for them. If you have kids, they are known to be very loving and affectionate with them so if you are planning to own one, make sure that they are around children often, or else your cat will never learn how to interact with little ones.
They Are Very Vocal
Bengal cats are known to be very vocal and noisy. They make a lot of noise when they play, and they can also be very loud when they’re trying to get your attention. This can be a bit of a problem if you live in an apartment or if you’re trying to keep them quiet so that you can sleep. They tend to communicate by making a lot of meows and hisses, as time passes you will learn to differentiate what they are trying to say. Hisses don’t always mean that your cat is angry, sometimes it’s just a way of demanding food. Also, purrs don’t always mean that your cat is happy, sometimes cats purr when they are stressed out.
They Are Very Athletic And Active
If you want to own one, make sure that you have the time to spend playing with them since they really need these types of activities since Bengal cats are very active and athletic creatures. If they don’t get enough playtime then they will become depressed because of their higher level of energy which can lead to health problems like obesity. They also need room to run around so if you plan on owning one, prepare a large space inside your home where they can roam free, or else they will destroy everything around the house.
They Are Very Loyal And You Can Even Train Them
If you want to train your Bengal cat, you will need to be consistent and firm with them. Start by training them at a young age so that they can get used to following your commands. Be sure to use positive reinforcement when they do something you want them to do, such as giving them a treat or petting them. You can also use a loud noise such as clapping your hands together to get their attention. If they don’t listen to you, don’t punish them because this will only make them more disobedient. Just keep repeating the command until they eventually listen. They tend to be very smart so they will get it eventually, you just need to be patient with them.
Bengal cats are known for their loyalty. They are usually attached to people who have raised them since young. They also tend to be very loving and affectionate with their owners which is good for people who don’t really like being alone and want their pets to give them attention. They usually get attached to only one person in the household and get sad when their owner is not around. So if you plan on getting one make sure that you have enough time for them.
They Are Very Loving And Affectionate
Bengal cats are known to be very loving and affectionate creatures. They love to be around their owners and are always trying to get their attention. They enjoy laying around the house and cuddles as well as playing. As mentioned before, they get attached to only one person so if you ever get another pet or someone else is watching them, they may act out because they are unhappy. Keep this in mind before getting one. It’s very important that they get enough attention and playtime throughout the day.
They Tend To Be Territorial
Bengal cats are known to be very territorial. If you have other pets at home, they may be harder to get along with. While some cats will learn to accept the new pet in the house others may not so take your time introducing them and wait until they feel comfortable being around each other.
Also, if you have children then it’s very important that you teach them how to properly approach a Bengal cat and to not determine their behavior by how they play or act with you. You want to make sure that the children learn how to approach a Bengal cat so that they don’t scare them and get scratched or bitten by accident. Make sure that the kids are gentle when petting them and that they don’t make any sudden movements, as they can scare the cat.
They Do Not Shed A Lot
Bengal cats tend to shed a lot less than other breeds of cats. This makes them a less messy choice for those who don’t want to deal with cat hair all over the house, furniture, and clothes. However, make sure that you brush your pet often as this can prevent the hair from getting everywhere.
A List Of Things Your Bengal Cat Will Need
- Special cat food While they are still kittens, they will need a lot of protein in their diet. Once they are fully grown, you can just feed them the same food as other cats.
- Groomer/vet-It’s important that you take your cat to a groomer or vet at least once in a while so that they can stay clean and healthy. The vet visits should be more frequent when they are a kitten and when they become a senior cat.
- Cat bed-Bengal cats love lying around, just like any other cat, so they should have a nice soft place to rest. They tend to grow up to about 13-16 inches tall, some make sure that the bed is big enough for them.
- Carrier-You will need one for taking your cat to the vet, or anywhere else for that matter. You should make the carrier more comfortable by placing a blanket inside and make sure to include some toys that will make your cat calmer since pets rarely like going to the vet, and they tend to get stressed out.
- Scratching Post-This is very important. It can keep your cat occupied and they will love scratching it, so make sure to choose a good one. It also makes them really happy and will keep them from scratching your furniture.
- Stain remover-Bengal cats are usually very messy eaters and they may pee outside of their litter box if you don’t clean up after them or keep the litter box clean.
- Litter box-Just like any other cat, they will need a place to do their business. Make sure that you get one that is big enough and place it somewhere they will have privacy. Make sure that you keep the litter box clean because they may stop using it if you don’t, which could lead to them peeing everywhere.
- Feeding bowls-You will need one for food and one for water. There are many types to choose from, but be sure to get the right size for your cat.
- Toys-This will keep them active and it’s good for developing coordination. You should get a lot of different toys for your cat to choose from since they are very playful and need a lot of physical activity. Don’t just let your cat play on its own all the time, make sure that you have time to play with them throughout the day.
- Nail Clippers-You will need these to clip their nails if they are not done naturally. You should make sure that you get the right size for your pet. This will ensure that there are no accidental scratches. You shouldn’t let their nails grow out too long.
- Harness-You will need one if you’re planning to take your cat for some outdoor adventures.
It’s Illegal To Own One In Some States
You should make sure that you check the laws in your area before getting a Bengal cat. For example, if you live in New York City, it’s illegal to own one. This is due to their wild nature, and to prevent people from keeping them in small apartments. You should only get a Bengal cat if you have enough space for it to roam and be physically active. If you do not have enough space for them at home, then you should take them for walks.
If you follow the list of things that your Bengal cat will need, then your life will be much easier and the relationship between you and your pet will be stronger because you will know what they like or dislike. Just keep in mind that this breed is very unique and it needs a lot of attention. However, they make great pets if you know how to treat them right. It is very important that you do your research because they are different from regular cats and you shouldn’t treat them like you would other cats. Read through this list and get everything before you get the cat, that way you will be ready for any situation that may arise.
The last thing that you should know is that Bengal cats are not for everyone. If you have the money, time, and patience to take care of this unique breed then go for it. On the other hand, if you don’t then maybe this isn’t the right pet for you because it won’t be fair to your Bengal cat. We hope this article helped you decide if this cat breed is the right one for you! Have fun with your new best friend!